Lebron James sorry for posterizing friend Kevin Love: ‘I hate it had to be him’

Lebron James sorry for posterizing friend Kevin Love: ‘I hate it had to be him’

Cleveland Cavaliers forward Kevin Love and Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James hug before the game. Joshua Gunter

 

 Lebron James sorry for posterizing friend Kevin Love: 'I hate it had to be  him' - oregonlive.com

LeBron James made his usual return to Cleveland on Monday night. He left the city with another gift, specifically one for his former teammate, Kevin Love.

In the second quarter of Los Angeles’ matchup with Cleveland, James cut into an open lane after an offensive rebound. He caught a pass from teammate Austin Reaves and threw down a one-handed slam in one of the most vicious dunks of the season over Love, who stood helpless under the rim.

It was one of James’ largest highlights of the season. This is pretty ridiculous for a 38-year-old:

After the game, James felt nothing but shame for the dunk over the Oregon-born Love. He said he felt bad for dunking on one of his beloved former teammates.

“To be completely honest, I hated that it had to be him,” James said postgame, with a smile. “He’s my guy. That’s my brother. And I hope I’m still invited to the (Love’s) wedding. That’s not even in my all-time dunks so I’ll take it out. I didn’t mean it. K-Love, I love you and I take it back. I wish I could take those two points back and we still win the game by nine.”

On Spectrum SportsNet, James joked about what went through his head as he approached the rim.

“When I turned that corner and I looked up I was like, ‘No please Kev, just move.’ I hate it because he should know once when I get that go-go-gadget calf muscle and I get going then, I’m gonna take off.”

Love might’ve been hurt at the moment but took the play in stride. After the game, he put James in a playful headlock to the ground before the two embraced.

Love sent a tweet out afterward jokingly saying he’ll need some time off.

James put together a dominant performance against his former team. He finished the game with 38 points, 12 rebounds and 11 assists as the Lakers won, 131-120.

 

0 Comments